Tripath class-T amps are known for their great, smooth sound, often compared to that of a tube amplifier. The Tripath company filed a patent in 1996 however the company soon went out of business. Thankfully there are still chips available so we can produce these wonderful sounding Tripath amps.
They made several different chipsets from the simpler single TA2020 to the TK2050. Not all of them sound equally awesome, we have chosen to use only the TK2050 in all our amp designs.
TK2050 is the chipset consisting of the TC2000/TC2001 controller and the TP2050/STA508 output stage chip. Our T2 amp use an upgraded output stage chip, STA510A together with the TC2000 controller. This makes it more powerful and better at lower impedances, while keeping the great sound signature of the TK2050 which mainly comes from the controller IC TC2000/TC2001.
The T2 includes two STA510A output stage chips, one in each channel, in a paralleled configuration. The twin sta510a’s makes it good for lower impedance loads, and the T2 can easily drive any 4-8 ohm speaker. We recommended it for speakers in the 4 ohm range, as for 8 ohm loads the T1 model is more efficient.
The input capacitors are very important for the sound quality of this kind of amps as it’s one of the few parts that the audio signal flows through.
The T2 uses audiophile Jantzen input caps (Jantzen Cross Caps 2.2uf) as the input caps.
- Important to know about Tripath amps: Ground on the two channels can not be connected together
- It is ok to only connect 1 speaker and leave the other channel unconnected if desired
- This amp can not be bridged to make 200W mono
- 10000uf cap
- 2*100W@4ohm, 2*50W@8ohm
- Power input: DC 22V-31V or AC 16V-22V
- TC2000 controller and two sta510 power stage chip.
- On/off relay, preventing “pop” sound in speakers during on/off
- Input impedance: 50K. (20K if you remove the vol.pot)
- Input sensitivity for full power: 1.5V RMS
- Onboard volume pot
- Dimensions: 128x81x38mm
- PCB thickness 2mm
- Comes fully assembled, as pictured.
- Quality MKP input 3.3uf input caps
- All caps and parts are well known brands
- Big fanless heatsink.
Vassilis K. –
This is a must have amplifier. It will outperform amplifiers that cost more than 500 euros.
It is on my system for more than a year now. Many times i use this one instead of my audiolab power amps.