Tripath class-T amps are known for their great, smooth sound, often compared to that of a tube amplifier. The Tripath company filed a patent in 1996 however the company soon went out of business. Thankfully there are still chips available so we can produce these wonderful sounding Tripath amps.
They made several different chipsets from the simpler TA2020 to the TK2050. Not all of them sound equally awesome though. We have chosen to use only the TK2050 in all our amp designs, as it’s the best sounding one in our opinion.
T1 Amplifier with TK2050 chipset
TK2050 is the chipset made up of the TC2000/TC2001 controller and the TP2050/STA505 output stage chip. The STA510A is a higher performance, higher output substitute for the STA505. It’s capable of handling a higher power supply voltage, it’s better at low impedances and also provides a higher watt output while keeping the great sound signature of the TK2050 that mainly comes from the controller TC2000/TC2001.
The T1 use the STA510a in a full bridge, non-paralleled configuration. This non-paralleled configuration is suitable for speakers in the 8 ohm range. We recommend the similar T2 amp with a full bridge, paralleled configuration for 4 ohm speakers. The T1 can be used with 4 ohm speakers, but output will be lower.
The input capacitors are very important for the sound quality of this kind of amps as it’s one of the few parts that the audio signal flows through. This T1 amp has Jantzen input caps (Jantzen Cross Caps 2.2uf). Note: The picture does not show the Jantzen caps
This version also has the famous ALPS blue volume potmeter installed. There is a different version without the volume pot if you don’t need it.
Power supply requirement
- Important to know about Tripath amps: Ground on the two channels can not be connected together
- It is ok to only connect 1 speaker and leave the other channel unconnected if desired
- This amp can not be bridged for higher mono output
- Output: 2*100W@8ohm, 2*50W@4ohm
- Power input: DC 24V-39V (only DC!)
- TC2000/TC2001 controller and one STA510a power stage chip.
- On/off relay, preventing “pop” sound in speakers during on/off
- Input impedance: 50K
- ALPS “blue” volume potmeter
- Input sensitivity for full power: 1.5V rms
- Dimensions: 128x81x38mm
- PCB thickness 2mm
- Comes fully assembled, as pictured.
- All caps and parts are well known brands
- Big fanless heatsink.