Tripath class-T amps are known for their great, smooth sound, often compared to that of a tube amplifier. The Tripath company filed a patent in 1996 however the company soon went out of business. Thankfully there are still chips available so we can produce these wonderful sounding Tripath amps.
They made several different chipsets from the simpler TA2020 to the TK2050. Not all of them sound equally awesome though. We have chosen to use only the TK2050 in all our amp designs, as it’s the best sounding one in our opinion.
T3S Amplifier with TK2050 chipset (TC2000 AND STA516b)
TK2050 is the chipset with TC2000/TC2001 controller and the TP2050/STA505 output stage chip. The STA516b is a higher performance, higher output substitute for the STA505 output chip. It’s capable of handling a higher power supply voltage, it’s better at low impedances and also provides a higher watt output while keeping the great sound signature of the TK2050 that mainly comes from the controller TC2000/TC2001.
The T3S use the STA516a in a full bridge, paralleled configuration. The paralleled configuration makes it good to drive low impedance, we recommend this for 4 ohm speakers. You can also use it with 8 ohm speakers, but you would get a higher output with the T4 amp that use a non-paralleled configuration.
The input capacitors are very important for the sound quality of this kind of amps as it’s one of the few parts that the audio signal flows through. This amp has Jantzen Cross Cap 2.2uf input caps. Note: The picture does not show the Jantzen caps.
There is no volume control on this amp, it is a power amp that will require either a preamp or a external volume potmeter to control the volume.
- 300W+300W output @4ohm, 150W+150w @8ohm
- Power requirement: dual ac 34 – 0 – 34 or single DC 48 – 0 (AC between 30 to 36V is ok, and DC between 36 and 48V)
- Input impedance 20K
- Input sensitivity for full power 1.5V
- Gain: 25x
- Inputs: 2.54mm connectors for signal, 7.62mm screw terminals connector for power supply
- Outputs: 7.62mm connectors
- Speaker protection: DC/error and power on delay, power down immediately off (when transformer powered)
- Power down interface to switch or controller: It can be remotely switched off from compatible preamp or controller. Shorting the 2 pads of the power down interface will power down the amp.
- Dimensions: 125x180x40mm